Candles have been used for thousands of years since Roman times. They were almost always used for lighting, as well as for religious purposes and, to a lesser extent, for telling time before mechanical clocks were invented.
Today, they are mainly used for accent lighting, ambiance, and aromatherapy, adding a pleasant warmth to any home design.
Of course, the flame of a candle does not burn forever. In fact, most candles have a maximum "life" of about fifteen hours, and with specialized additives - up to forty hours. Therefore, if you use them every day for an hour, they will last you about two weeks.
9 reasons to love lighting candles in the house
What is your ideal evening? Homemade food and watching your favorite movies? Hot bubble bath with a glass of wine? Romantic evening with your loved one? No matter what your perfect evening includes, we are 100% sure that it will not pass without burning candles.
For centuries they have been used in sacred ceremonies. Tibetan monks light them while meditating in temples. Jews celebrate with them the biggest holiday of Hanukkah. Orthodox Christians celebrate Christmas with the light of the fire. In many cultures and religions, lighting candles is a symbol of faith, miracle, enlightenment, peace, concentration, life-giving power, and joy. Unlike sunlight, which is too strong for the eyes, soft fire helps to focus and calm down. That is why these accessories are primarily used for relaxation and tranquility. If you haven't used these attributes yet, here are 9 reasons why you'll love lighting candles in your home.
- Lighting candles help create a peaceful atmosphere. Light a few candles to create a warm and cozy home atmosphere. By the way, this is an indispensable attribute of Danish happiness according to Hygge. Hemp paraffin candles are famous for their calming and healing properties. They are actively used by masseurs, psychologists, and therapists. The flickering flame helps to ease and calm the mind. Light a candle, watch the flame, and just breathe for 60 seconds. You will feel the tension leaving your body.
- Lighting scented candles lift the mood. Fragrances work wonders. They bring us back to the wonderful moments of our lives, drive away depression, and charge us with new energy. Aromatherapy with candles is a great way to restore strength, energy, and mood. If you suffer from insomnia, it's time to buy scented candles with lavender. Lemon and citrus fruits give vivacity and drive away drowsiness. Eucalyptus helps to focus.
- Lighting candles for festive romance - Valentine's Day or just dinner with your loved one. Light table candles to turn an ordinary meal into a real celebration. The choice of candles in this case is huge. These can be colored paraffin screw candles, antique conical, or classic white taper candles.
- Interior transformation. Candles create stylish touch in any environment. They create a relaxing SPA environment in the bathroom and bring peace to the living room. With the help of candles, an ordinary kitchen will turn into a restaurant with a romantic atmosphere for two lovers. And these accessories are an important component of romance. Candles in glass can be placed on the patio, porch, and garden to create a magical and dreamlike setting. According to feng shui and Hyuga, fire drives away negativity from the house, and in return brings peace.
- Lighting candles create an intimate environment. If you want to organize a special evening for a loved one and bring passion and intimacy back to a relationship, you cannot do it without “fire”. The best solution is to buy scented candles in glass. The lit candle relaxes, the aroma sets the right mood, and the candle jar is responsible for the safety of the event.
- Lighting candles are good for mental health. If you feel anxiety and panic, if you are tired, and your head hurts from an overabundance of information, light candles. They help to cope with anxiety and achieve peace. It is because of these properties that candles are used during prayer and meditation.
- Lighting candles awaken inspiration. When creative people need some inspiration, they light a fire. There is something poetic and warm in it that makes you create with renewed vigor.
- Lighting candles help to get rid of insomnia. Before going to bed, we sit for a long time with the lights on, watch TV, and do not let go of our phones. According to studies, blue light reduces magnesium levels in the body. The result is a lack of sleep. Do an experiment: turn off the lights earlier and get ready for bedtime by candlelight. When you are not distracted by technology, it is easier for you to listen to your body and understand what it really wants. In addition, spending time in the evening by candlelight helps to focus on your thoughts and feelings. According to psychologists, this technique allows you to get restful sleep.
- Get rid of stress. Candles are often lit in psychotherapy sessions to help relieve tension, fatigue, anxiety, and depression. When life seems too terrible, and aggression overflows, just light a candle. It has been proven that the flame of fire even relieves the side effects of chemotherapy - nausea and pain. Good selection of scented candles is very important.
Lighting candles safety tips
Burning candles are always safe if used properly, so you just need to follow a few tips to keep yourself out of trouble.
Extinguish an uncovered candle when it reaches about 2 inches in height. Closed candles can continue to burn until they are about half an inch high.
Why don't they burn out completely? Candles are lit by a wick wrapped in wax, which melts and slows down the burning.
If you set fire to one wick, then it will burn no more than a minute or two. Wax melts much more slowly and does not create much smoke, so it is often imbued with pleasant aromas that are released as water vapor. That's why they smell so good in stores.
Candlesticks can also make burning candles safer. They will be much less likely to tip over and also less likely to spill hot, sticky wax. Wax drips on a candlestick are easy to clean up by simply washing the candlestick.
Also, remember to trim the wicks a quarter of an inch each time you plan to light candles. So the wax will be better absorbed into the wick, and it will burn better.
Otherwise, the candle can create a lot of smoke, which negates the pleasant aroma or makes it even worse.
By following these precautions, candles will burn well and will really brighten up any room in your home.
They are perfect for romantic evenings or creating a soft glow while you enjoy a nice hot bath.
Of course, it makes no sense to use them as the main source of light in the room, especially since no one would think of reading by candlelight, but they are still great for creating a warm, soft atmosphere in the house.